Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TACO SOUP


So Lindsay asked for my Taco Soup recipe so I thought I would post it here if someone else may want to try it too. This is actually Jon's mom's recipe. I will type is up as she gave it to me, then I will also add the various changes I have made over time. My changes make it lower in fat, lower sodium and less spicey for the kids...not to mention I like to save time, so I've also made it a little simpler...

Barbara Byrd's version of Taco Soup
Cook 2 lbs. hamburger with 1 med. onion, diced
1 small can of diced green chilis
3 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz. each)
2 cans Ranch style beans (this brand is at Safeway they are seasoned pinto I think)
1 can black beans
1 can homine or corn
1 pkg ranch style buttermilk dressing mix
1 pkg taco seasoning
1/2 cup water (or more if you want it more soupy)
salt & pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in crock pot all day on low or on the stove for 2-3 hours. My crock pot is 5.5 quarts and it just fits. Serve with cheese, sour cream, chips or whatever.

Maria Byrd's version of the above
1 or 2 cups cooked diced chicken (ground turkey also works well)
1/2 diced onion (often I don't add this if I don't have one)
3 cans no-salt added diced tomatoes (14 oz size)
1 can homine and/or 1 can corn
1 can 50% less sodium black beans
1 can 50% less sodium red kidney beans (often I just use 2 black beans and no kidney)
1 can ranch style beans
1 pkg buttermilk ranch seasoning
1/2 pkg taco seasoning
water if you want it soupier (we kind of like it like chili)
ADD to crock pot same as above. If we have any leftovers the next day we like to pour it over rice.

This is a super fast easy, healthy recipe. I cook it at least every 2 weeks if not more :) It can totally be varied. I experiment with different beans, and I usually keep cooked chopped chicken in my freezer, so you can have dinner ready in no-time. If I don't have chicken I just add another can of beans.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely have to try this! I'm not sure Natalee will like it, but Jesse and I will. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just 2 black beans? Is that enough for your entire family?

    ReplyDelete